Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Coming Home


Coming home from Uganda was harder that coming home from any other trip I had ever done. In typical (for me) style, I got sick on the last day- which made saying good-byes hard and really just made me desperate to NOT move and get into my own bed.

However, I knew that as quickly as I had come and gone from Uganda, Uganda would not go from me. Especially the face of little Bakhita.

I remember getting home, late January, and walking Charlie (the dog). I was bundled up from head to toe, still itching from the sunburn I got the day we crossed the equator, and headed out into the snow. My first thought- the Boda drivers of Uganda. These men bundled up this much (heavy parka, boots, hats...everything) for their daily driving through the streets. That thought led to the face of Bakhita.

Why this child? I wondered. The memory of her lingered everywhere.

No comments: